Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Summer Reading

Three years ago I had the amazing opportunity to attend Primary Literacy Collaborative Coordinator Training at The Ohio State University.  I had amazing teachers who inspired me and got me excited about teaching again.  They also emphasized the importance of being a lifelong learner. I have always considered myself to be just that as I continually look for ways to improve as a teacher. After completing my training I decided that every summer I would choose two professional books to read.

The Castle in the ClassroomMy first read this summer was:

The Castle in the Classroom
Story as a Springboard for Early Literacy
By: Ranu Bhattacharyya

This book not only confirmed how I teach reading and writing but reminded me of the importance of stepping back and allowing your students to be free to create.

Now, I don't know about the rest of you but I may, at times, be a bit particular about the way we do things in our classroom.  Okay, okay I can be downright controlling! But this book reminded me of the power of letting go and letting your students take control.  This book gives you a look inside her classroom as well as some Focus lessons to help you, well, focus your teaching.

So if you are looking to be inspired, reenergized, affirmed, etc. about teaching balanced literacy this book is a must read!
If you decide to check it out I would love to know what you think!
Happy Reading!
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment